Thursday, December 18, 2008

Back to Basics

Its time for an overhaul. Im throwing everything out of my studio that sounds anything like todays music and promotes creative laziness. Yes, I own Autotune, but Im getting rid of it. Proudly, Ive only used it a handful of times, and not for the "T-Pain" effect. I thought it would save time in the studio if I needed a small tweak here and there instead of re-recording everything, but I always felt like I was doing something I knew was wrong whenever I opened up that plugin.

Im glad that I live in this day and age as a musician. I own a studio and I can record whenever and whatever I want and not have to stare at the clock thinking Ill need 50 more bucks just to finish the lead vocal. Its a dream and a nightmare. Musicians all over the world are enjoying their studios, and so are the hobbyists and wannabe famouses. Want to make music? No skills required. All you need is a computer and your favorite software that is loaded with loops galore so you can produce a hot track. Im not mad at technology, or the fact that music lovers ( talented or not ) want to make music. Its the mindset that drives me crazy.

Technology should enhance art, not replace the creative process. Im envisioning a future where we do nothing at all. We tell a computer what type of music we want to "create" and it programs everything for us. You only need to add vocals, which by then, Autotune wont sound like a computer anymore, it will sound like the real thing. Back when I was playing Atari, I could have never imagined X-Box. Brace yourself for the future.

0 comments: